Keyword Research Introduction
Keyword Research is a very important part of the SEO. In fact the SEO for any website begins with keyword research only. Usually people just search the keywords related to their website in search engines and tend to use them for SEO without any detailed research. However, this way of selecting keywords for their website does not help them in SEO at all. So it is evident that there has to be a proper plan for keyword selection. Then only we can find out the keywords that would be useful in the long run. This article gives you a strategy to choose your keywords in simple steps. But before we move any further it is important to understand the terms Keywords and Search Terms.
Search Terms and Keywords
Search terms are the words or string of words that a user types into the search box of a search engine to find the related results. They are also called as Search Queries. Search terms typed by the user may be misspelled or out of order. They may even have other words attached to them. In fact any query that is typed by a user in the search box of a search engine is a search term.
Example:- Blue Jeans Sale, Blue Jeans Juniors, Branded Blue Jeans etc.
Keywords are those search terms or a part of long search terms that are meaningful to your business. These are the topics about which you have the content on your website. These are the most important queries. One has to optimize his website according to the selected keywords used only.
Example:- Blue Jeans.
Tools for Keyword Research
Keyword Research being an extensive process needs a tool that is very accurate and diverse in functionality. In the present day world two main tools are used for the keyword research viz. Google Keyword Planner and Ahrefs. Google Keyword Planner is a free tool, one can access it without any charges. It is easy to use. One has to put keywords in the search box and the related ideas and metrics are displayed. However it gives results in a generalized manner. There is no detailed information available for the keywords searched. Now coming to the Ahrefs, it is a paid tool. Accordingly the results displayed by Ahrefs are quite detailed. The metrics shown are more accurate and diverse.
In this article we will discuss keyword research using Ahrefs in the following steps to get better results in SEO.
Step 1:- Find tons of great keyword ideas.
- Enter keywords related to your website in Ahrefs Keywords Explorer tool e.g. bags
- Scroll down and go to “keyword ideas” view full report.
- In the list look for “search volume” which tells us how many times people search for the keyword in google each month in your chosen country.
Step 2:- Find the best keyword opportunity for you.
- Look at the search volume of the keywords and select some keywords with significant search volume.
- Now, look at their KD – Keyword Difficulty. It is an estimate for how hard it would be to rank for the particular keyword based on the number of backlinks the top ten ranking pages have.
- Click on “Get Metrics” for required keywords in the list.
- Select keywords with less KD and open them in new tab.
- Look at the overview pages for the keywords.
Step 3:- Research the referring domains you need.
- Look into the KD section of each keyword selected and you will see the number of backlinks required to rank in top 10 for this keyword.
- Scroll down and look into SERP Overview section. It will show you the websites already ranking on the keyword.
- Check the “Domains” column for these websites. It will tell you how many referring domains do each of these websites have.
- Select the keywords with least number of referring domains in this column.
Step 4:- Review clicks and clicks per search.
- Go to Clicks metrics, it gives us the data about the number of clicks for a selected keyword in the chosen country each month.
- Look for “Clicks per Search” metrics here. It tells you how many times the clicks on the search results are made by the users after searching for a query/keyword in a search engine. It compares the number of clicks per search for the keyword.
- Select those keywords which have click per search greater than 1 or at-least closer to 1(in case it is below 1). Click per search >1 implies that people are clicking on more than one results on the SERP for the keyword. So even if u rank below the top results there are still chances to get some traffic.
This completes the process of Keyword Research and will give the best keyword ideas to rank for. To explore the top skills required for mastering digital marketing click here.